Monday, January 9, 2012

Waffle Grilled Cheese Sandwiches and Tomato Soup

My kids have never been the grilled cheese sandwich lovers that most little kids are.
They love other types of 'kid friendly' foods.
Like what you ask?
Liiiiiiiiiike... tofu (cold and cubed), hummous (eaten by the spoonful), sauteed spinach with tons of garlic and brown rice (a dish my mom used to make when I was a wee one), and lentils with yogurt on top.


What?

What do you mean those aren't kid friendly foods?
Well, you're right. They don't seem very 'kid friendly' but I'm lucky that my kids like the exotic fare that I grew up eating and I continue to cook for them.

My mom never prepared separate meals for us.
Whatever she made, we ate.
And if we didn't like it, we didn't eat.
I like her style.
So now I'm finding that in order for my kids to eat the 'normal' American kid fare, I have to find a way to make it more interesting for them (I know, I know,.. their wives are going to KILL me!).
For example, the all American Grilled Cheese Sandwich.
Every kid's dream, right?
Well...
Not EVERY kid.

So in an effort to turn the grilled cheese sandwich into a novelty for them, I decided to grill it in my waffle maker.
Turns out, I'm a genius.
But I'm sure you already knew that.
;)


The waffle maker made the cheese melt perfectly, the bread toast wonderfully, and the kids' eyes popped out of their heads in delight!


Not to mention how fun the sandwich was, aesthetically.
The kids oooo'd and aaahhhh'd over them.
And can you blame them?

They were super duper fun in the sun.
Well, fun in the plate.
I mean ON the plate.
Um,.. nevermind.
You get the idea.


I served those babies up with some hearty tomato soup and the classic Soup and Sandwich dish was complete.
And my tomato soup is pretty bangin'.
So simple and so good.
I promise.


I've been making it for my friends forever and they are always asking me the recipe for it.
I change it up from time to time, varying between roasting fresh tomatoes in the oven or using canned.
Sometimes I will add different herbs to it or maybe, if I'm feeling sassy, adding some heavy cream, but it's basically always the same.
Easy and fresh and delightful.
Try it and see for yourself.
Soup and Sandwich night should be the next stop on your dinner train.
(I don't really know what the dinner train is, but it's late and I'm tired, so whatever. Just stop your dinner train at the soup and sandwich stop and cook that up. Tank you.)


Here are my Measure-Maybes...
Get it.
Instead of Measurements...
Measure-maybes.
Like maybe these are the right measurements and maybe they're not since I don't write stuff down?
Damn, I'm so good..
What is up with my cleverness?

Ok. I'll stop.

Here we go.

Tomato Soup

(I'm forgetting the garlic in this picture but don't you forget it in your soup!)

1-2 big ol' carrots, diced
2 stalks celery, diced
1 large and in charge onion, diced
4 garlic cloves, minced
2 bay leaves, fresh or dried
1-28 oz. can crushed tomatoes
3-4 cups low sodium veggie or chicken stock
olive oil
salt and pepper

In a big soup pot on medium high heat, add enough olive oil to coat the bottom of the pan, about 4-5 tablespoons.
Add in the carrots, celery, onions, bay leaves, garlic and season with salt and pepper.
Saute for 5-7 minutes.
Add in the can of crushed tomatoes and move around the pan. Add a little more salt and pepper to season the tomatoes.
Add in your stock and bring it up to a boil.
Make sure you taste it to make sure you have enough salt and pepper.
When it reaches a boil, drop the heat down to simmer for about 35 minutes.
At this point, after it's been simmering, you can add some different flavors in if you're feeling cray.
You can add fresh basil if your lil' heart desires.
You can add heavy cream (about 1/4 cup) if you're feeling naughty.
You can leave the soup as is for a chunky tomato soup.
The choice is yours, my friend. The choice is yours.
That's the beauty of cooking your own meals.
You have total control.
I like having control.
At least I have control of something around this chaotic, uncontrollable, boy-filled place!

For a creamy soup, puree the mixture with a hand immersion blender or ladle it into a regular blender (a little at a time) if you don't have a hand held one... but I highly recommend you get one.
It. will. change. your. life.

Waffle Grilled Cheese Sandwich

Get your favorite bread
Get your favorite cheese(s)
Get your favorite butter
Get your favorite waffle maker

Put your favorite butter on your favorite heated waffle maker.
Put your favorite cheese onto your favorite bread and slap it onto your favorite waffle maker.
Cook for about 3 minutes or until your sandwich is melted and grilled to a waffle-y perfection.
EAT AND ENJOY!



No comments:

Post a Comment