Thursday, January 12, 2012

EPIC Double Chocolate Cake with Chocolate Buttercream Frosting



I thought your Thursday could use a little sweetness.
Here is the cake I made for Thanksgiving at my mom's house.

A Double Chocolate Cake with a Chocolate Buttercream Frosting.

Decadent doesn't even begin to describe how luscious and delicious this cake is.
It will feel like there is a party popping off in your mouth.
Like one of those college parties that was ( WAS because I'm an old lady now and my college party memories are all that I have to hold on to from my younger, crazier times) so epic, you will have that memory of it throughout your life and always reflect back on it when the going gets tough.
That's how this chocolate cake was.
For moi, anyway.
I will remember that buttercream frosting and the moist, decadent, spongy cake for a lifetime to come.
And I'm pretty sure my thighs and love handles will as well.
But let's not get off subject...

Although I DID put a healthy spin on it by adding all those raspberries on top.
I mean, really.
Essentially, it's a fruit cake.
That's healthy.
Right?

Take this cake with you the next time you're invited for a dinner or lunch to someone's house.
They will love you forever and they will never forget your EPIC chocolate cake!

Ok, here's the thing.
FOR THE LIFE OF ME I cannot find the author of this recipe.
I've scoured the internet and can't find the source. So please know that (obviously) I did not come up with this recipe on my own.
Also, it is originally a cupcake recipe, and I will give you the recipe just as I have it.
I wanted it to be a cake instead of cupcakes so I just put it into 2-9 inch round pans lined with buttered and floured wax paper. Then I cut both of the cooled rounds in half and stacked them to create a four layer, rustic cake.
I also fiddled around with the times. They will obviously take longer than the 20 minutes for cupcakes. I think around 30 minutes, but I can't say for sure. So just keep an eye on it and check it with a toothpick to make sure it's cooked all the way through!

I will continue to try and find the correct source, but until then... here is the recipe I've written down:

EPIC Double Chocolate Cupcakes

3/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons cocoa powder (not dutch processed)
1/2 c. boiling water
1 c. buttermilk
1-3/4 c. flour
1-1/4 tspn. baking soda
1/4 tspn. baking powder
1/4 tspn. kosher salt
1-1/2 sticks plus 3 tblspn butter, softened
1-1/2 c. sugar
2 large eggs, room temperature
1 tspn. vanilla

Preheat oven to 350.
Put two racks in the lower and middle third of oven.
Put cocoa powder in medium heat proof bowl. Add boiling water and whisk till smooth paste.
Whisk in buttermilk until combined.
In medium bowl, sift flour, baking soda, baking powder and salt.
In a large bowl, beat 1-1/2 sticks butter with sugar until light and fluflly, about 3 minutes.
Beat in eggs and vanilla.
Beat in dry ingredients in two batches, alternating with the cocoa mixture.
Carefully spoon batter into liners, about 2/3 full.
Bake for 20-22 minutes or until springy and a toothpick comes out clean.
Let cool in pan for 5 minutes then transfer to wire rack.

Chocolate Buttercream Frosting

1 cup chocolate chips
1/2 cup butter, softened
2-3 cups confectioner's sugar
5 tblspn. milk
1/2 tspn. vanilla.

Melt chocolate chips over double boiler or in microwave. Cool for about 10-15 minutes before continuing.
In large bowl, beat butter until creamy. Gradually add the confectioner's sugar, alternating with the milk.
Add the melted chocolate and vanilla and beat until smooth.

Frost your cupcakes or cake and top with fresh raspberries, or any berry of your choice.

And there you have it.
A healthy fruit cake for all occasions!
;)

No comments:

Post a Comment