Tuesday, March 6, 2012

Mozzarella Stuffed Turkey Meatloaf


When I think of meatloaf I always think of a big, dense blob of ground beef baked together that comes out dry and rubbery and drenched in ketchup.
Doesn't that sound yummy?
Well I don't know about you, but that sounds barfy and gross to me.
Well, except for the drenched in ketchup part.
Ain't nothing wrong with.. well, anything really, drenched in some ketchup.
I need about a gallon of ketchup just for a small order of french fries.
Can't barely eat even one without the beautiful, vinegary, luscious red sauce enveloping my fry.
At least two dips PER fry.
MIN not max.
I'm crazy like that.

But I digress.
Back to the 'loaf.
So with all of these less than desirable adjectives and impressions I had in my head about this particular 'comfort food' dinner, I set out to make one.


Except my meatloaf was going to look prettier than the average bear.
There will be nothing average about my lovely 'loaf.


I took some 93/7 ground turkey and put it in a big bow. I diced one medium onion and put it in a skillet with olive oil over medium heat.
Take 3 cloves garlic, minced, and add it to the onions.
Salt and pepper them up.
Cook that around for about 5-7 minutes, until the onions are translucent and soft.
I added 1 tablespoon herbs de provence (a dried herb) and cooked it with the onions and garlic.
Then add 3 tablespoons tomato paste and 2 tablespoons worchestire sauce.
Cook it around for 3-5 minutes.
Turn off the heat and add in some chopped basil and parsley.


Then I took 2 slices of day old bread and put it in the food processor and turned it into breadcrumbs.
Add them to the turkey bowl.
I also grabbed a handful of oatmeal and threw it in the bowl as well.
Added fiber, right?!
Hey, it worked and looked good dotted all around the 'loaf.


So when the onion and tomato paste mixture cools a little, add it to the ground turkey with the breadcrumbs and oatmeal.
Season it all up again with salt and pepper and
mix everything together with your hands (best tools money can't buy).
Get a piece of saran wrap and lay it out on your counter.
A long one... don't be greedy with it now.
Lay out the turkey mixture on the plastic wrap and flatten it out to about 18-24 inches tall (I'm guesstimating) and about 12 inches wide.
Get a few slices of mozzarella cheese (cut about 1/4 inch thick) and put them from top to bottom on the turkey mixture.
Then, using the plastic wrap, roll the 'loaf like a sushi roll, letting the wrap guide you.
When you've rolled it all the way, pinch the ends to ensure the cheese doesn't leak out in the baking process.


Take the plastic wrap off and bake it for 40 minutes on 375 or 400, depending on your oven.
I served mine with mushroom gravy, mashed potatoes and roasted corn.

Try my take on the classic meatloaf for dinner tonight.
Using the turkey and the oatmeal, it's healthy and light and so not dry.
Just take it from my hubs...
aka my man of very many (and by very many I mean very few) words...
"It's really good, babe."
Ahhh, my very own Poe.

No comments:

Post a Comment