Tuesday, November 22, 2011

Beet Pesto

I love beets. I know I've already said this but I really do!
I had to share with you another recipe that I absolutely love to make.
It's a Beet Pesto that is absolutely gorge.
The color, the texture, the nutritional value of a beet; it's pretty much the perfect vegetable, in my opinion.
You can use the beet pesto in so many different ways.
I put it in orzo for my Cornmeal Crusted Snapper recipe.
I've put it on a piece of crusty baguette and topped it with some really good parmesano reggiano cheese.
I've even put it in the couscous salad that I love to make...

Just a few simple ingredients and you have a vibrant and ruby red puree of goodness you can use every which way your imagination allows you to.

The recipe is from design*sponge and you can find it here, although I did make a few changes to make it my own!
I really can't resist basil in a pesto, well in just about anything really, so I added some to mine, about 1/2 a cup. My brother always makes fun of me whenever I tell him I'm cooking anything he says, 'Is there basil in it?' I really love me some basil.
I love having a fresh herb in my recipes whenever I can fit it in.
Of course I used more than 1 garlic clove. I mean, c'mon, it's me we're talking about here.
I used 2 large garlic cloves.
Well, maybe three... but who's counting?
Oh you are? Ok, then I used three, but two would be plenty for those less excited to smell like garlic for the next two days.
I roasted the beets on 425 in foil drizzled with olive oil, salt and pepper for about 40 minutes.
I think they have much more flavor when you roast them rather than boil them.
I also used a tad more than 2 ounces of almonds. I used about 1/2 a cup and I also roasted my almonds. Again, more flavor. It makes a difference. Trust.

Here I put it on some pasta... and it was insanely good.

I used whole wheat spaghetti which also adds another nutty element to the dish.
If you're feeling particularly indulgent, you can even add some heavy cream to the pesto. This will make for a creamy pasta sauce and adds a little richness to the dish. It's the bomb.com.
This delicious bowl of beet pesto pasta was not only an easy lunch, but the gorgeousness of the dish is undeniable.
You know how they say you eat with your eyes first?
Well, this dish really got me excited.
Even Lucas told me after I tasted the pesto,
'Mom, when you really love something, your eyes always roll in your head.'
Oops, maybe I get a little TOO excited for food! heehee.

Of course you can't have a steaming bowl of pasta without some garlic bread, so I made some on the fly. Perfect compliment to the dish and I am now totally in love with this new recipe.
The kids loved it and ate it all up.
I am sure you will love this and your kids will too!!

No comments:

Post a Comment