Wednesday, November 16, 2011

Eggplant, Mushroom and Asparagus Pizza with Roasted Tomato Sauce



I made the easiest pizza sauce ever the other day.
No, seriously.
Easy Peasy.
I had some tomatoes that were going soft and I knew I had to use them up before they were lost forever. I really have a hard time with throwing food away so I'm always trying to salvage whenever I can.
This actually helps me in coming up with new recipes because I wouldn't have thought to do this with a ripe tomato. Mainly because I'm weird and using a perfectly good ripe tomato to try and make it soft would seem silly to me, but again... I'm weird like that.



I cut up all the soft tomatoes I had, about 10 of them, and cut one onion in chunks and peeled about 4 cloves of garlic. I put it all on a baking sheet and drizzled olive oil all over and seasoned with salt and pepper.


Then I put it in a really hot oven, like 500 degrees for about 10-15 minutes, until the tomatoes and onions caramelized and got sweet and delicious...
It was heaven on a baking sheet.
I wish I took a picture of it but of course, I got sidetracked with something else (probably one of the munchkins pulling on my leg asking for something to eat... is it just me or are boys ALWAYS ALWAYS ALWAYS hungry?? It's exhausting. Sheesh.).
Sorry, I digress.
Anyway, back to the sauce makin'.


After I took the tomatoes out of the oven, I sprinkled about 2 tablespoons of fresh oregano on top.
If you don't have fresh, you can use dried oregano, about 1 tablespoon.
When the tomatoes, onion, oregano and garlic cooled down, I put it all in a food processor and pureed them to a smooth and thick sauce.
Check for seasoning and it's ready to slather onto any pizza dough you have.

Sidenote:
You will probably have left overs that would be perfect in a tomato soup (which I made with my leftovers). I highly recommend you do that, too!

For the dough, I made a basic recipe that I use for just about all my dough recipes.
It's the same one I use for my Focaccia Bread.

Then you can basically top your pizza with whatever you like.
For this delightful pie, I used about 1 lb. cremini mushrooms, sliced, 1 bunch of asparagus cut in thirds, and 1 whole eggplant cut into thin slices.
I sauteed the mushrooms in a little olive oil, salt and pepper before topping them on the pizza because I like a little crust on my mushrooms.
The asparagus and eggplant I put on the pizza raw and drizzled some olive oil on top.
They roasted and caramelized in the oven while the pizza cooked.
(my mouth might be watering a little... )
I used fontina and mozzarella cheeses for this and the flavor combination was perfection with the roasted vegetables.
This is a serious vegetarian pizza.
But the best part is, it is so filling and hearty, you'll never miss the meat.

So it looks like it's pizza for dinner tonight, party people!

Or lunch.
or breakfast.

I mean, c'mon... who doesn't love them some pizza?!
Anytime.
Anywhere.
Anyway!
your welcome.

No comments:

Post a Comment