Wednesday, November 16, 2011

Roasted Beet and White Bean Salad

I love beets.
LOVE me some beets.
I also love to make holiday-ish food this time of year.
Meaning the flavors and colors of my food are a big deal to me.
I make sure that the house smells and looks like the holidays.
I like to get into the spirit of things!
So I thought my Beet and White Bean Salad would be perfect for your next holiday get together.
It's SUPER easy and looks gorgeous.
The colors just look like the holidays to me.


And really, who doesn't love an easy salad? It's so easy and so delicious.
Not to mention healthy.
It's a win win, right?!
Right.


The colors are so festive, aren't they?
The gorgeous ruby red from the roasted beets, the beautiful creamy white beans, and the bright pop from the parsley.
It's a beautiful addition to any table.
Ok, I think I've sufficiently sold this salad to you.
Now, go make it!
:)

Roasted Beet and White Bean Salad

4-5 whole beets, peeled and quartered
1 - 15 oz. can of white cannellini beans, drained and rinsed
1/2 bunch of parsley, chopped
1 lemon
olive oil
salt and pepper

Heat oven to 425.
Put the beets in foil and drizzle with olive oil, salt and pepper and wrap them tightly.
You can probably fit 1-2 whole beets per piece of foil, depending on how big a piece of foil you cut.
Put the beets wrapped in foil in a large baking sheet and roast for about 30-40 minutes, until fork tender.
Let cool.
Make the dressing:
Mix lemon juice, olive oil (1 part lemon to 2 parts oil) and salt and pepper together.
I make this a layered salad because the beets will turn the white beans purple. That is perfectly ok but I love the way it looks layered, but you can mix it up if you like.
After the beets cool, I cut them into bite sized pieces and toss them with some of the dressing.
Layer that on a white plate.
Then take the beans and toss them in some dressing and scatter them right on top of the beets.
Then take the chopped parsley and put them all over the beans. The parsley is meant to be an ingredient, not just a garnish, so don't be afraid!
Then drizzle a little bit more dressing right over the entire salad.
Enjoy!


No comments:

Post a Comment