Wednesday, May 30, 2012

Portobello Mushroom Parmesan

Mushrooms are the perfect food for a vegetarian.
They are super flavorful, meaty and they eat like a cut of meat.
There's texture there that's hard to find in most other vegetables.
They are simply delightful.
Now take that all glorious portobello mushroom-ness, smother it in some marinara sauce and melty, gooey cheese and we've just reached a whole different universe of deliciousity.
What?
Is that not a word?
It is... like Fabulosity.
You know, delish-eee-osity.
Ya, it's a word.
for sure.


Unfortunately, these are another sad lot of pictures to share with you for this post.
The thing is, I'm normally taking pictures of my dinners AS I am plating them up for us all to eat and it's always so rush rush.
I take my steaming hot plate of food to a spot where I am searching for some damn light
and ...
well...
it doesn't always turn out like I plan it in my head.
I'm waiting for the big guys at Apple or Microsoft to come out with some device that you can smell or taste through the computer screen.
Then I won't have to feel so ashamed of my sad sally pics and just the smells and tastes alone
 will reel you in.


Tonight I made this delicious meal for the family.
  Well, I made chicken parmesan for the boys and the mushroom parmesan for myself but as I was devouring my perfectly roasted mushrooms, I couldn't help but feel the eyeballs on my plate.
Now my man loves his meat, but he was obviously jelly of my vegetarian plate.
He wanted him a taste of the deliciousity (new word of the day).
I broke him off a bit of mine and he LOVED it.
I mean LOVED.
He was mmmmm-ing all over the place.
I mean, really...
what's not to love, is all I'm saying. 


I started out by cleaning the mushrooms.
You can take the little stem off or leave it on if you like.
Take a damp paper towel and gently wipe the caps of any dirt or any schmegls on it.
Schmegls.
Another intellectual noun for you to add to your cooking vocab.
You're welcome.
 So then put the mushrooms on a baking sheet lined with foil.
Drizzle them with olive oil and sprinkle them with salt and pepper.
 Put them in a 450 oven for about 10 minutes, until they are soft but firm.


Take them out and smother in marinara sauce (recipe here) and copious amounts of cheese.
I used gouda because it's sooo goood-a.
I know, that was uncalled for and I apologize.
Traditionally it is mozzarella, but I'm so insane that I like to use whatever flavor I'm feeling that day...
or more honestly,
whatever I have waiting to be used up in the fridge.
Then grate tons of parmesan reggiano on top of your choice of cheese.
This is called mushroom PARMESAN after all!
Then put it back in the oven under the broiler for about 5 minutes until the cheese is bubbly and melty and ridiculously gorgeous.
Serve alongside some spaghetti and you've got yourself one outrageous meal!
Enjoy. 

No comments:

Post a Comment