Monday, May 14, 2012

Gorgonzola and Corn Relish


Sometimes the best meals are the easiest ones.
It's true I like to make my food from scratch when I can, but I have no shame in taking some help once in a while if I need it.
Enter Costco Turkey Burgers.
Those babies are something I've been trying to cut ties with for a while but the 'easy factor' is just too..
well..
easy!
And the fam loves them!
They're easy peasy 1..2..3.
But trying to spruce them up with something other than boring old tomatoes and lettuce is a challenge I look forward to.
Well, the other night, I came up with this delicious relish to blanket the burgers in.


Pretty much only 4 ingredients.
Gorgonzola cheese.
Corn.
Cilantro.
and a squeeze of Lime.
That's it.
Well, salt, pepper and olive oil of course, but those are staples and I can't be bothered to include them.
;)
I topped each burger with this little medley of flavors and the family LOVED it.
The hubs was really digging it.
You know he's loving something when you hear him pondering over each bite.
There were noises and lip licking coming from him that was bordering inappropriate for
 the dinner table.
But you know that I loved every minute of it!
I'm crazy like that.


The flavor burst was such a nice addition to the boring flavor of the turkey... 
or so he told me.

You can add this to just about any sandwich you like.
You can also play with the ingredients a bit.
If you don't love gorgonzola, you can use feta or goat cheese.
If you're not down with cilantro, ( in which case, see you later) sub in some basil or parsley.
You can add sun dried tomatoes, or some olives.
It's all good.  Get creative with it.
It will still look and taste amazeballs!
I made myself a salmon burger (yes, from Costco) and topped it with the gorgonzola and corn relish.
It was divine!
Such a vibrant compliment of flavors.
I served it alongside some rosemary fingerling roasted potatoes and the meal was complete.
Easy AND healthy.
Man, I love when that happens!
And I basically took the family on a trip to flavor town.
Free of charge.
So it was a winner any way you look at it.
I love when something so simple can be turned into something special with just a few little ingredients.
I know I love strange things, but this is how I am.
Deal with it, people!


Try it!!!
Eat it!!!
I'm almost positive you will try and find me to give me a big smooch because I will have changed your burger/sandwich experience forever.
With just a few simple ingredients.
And I will let you.

Nom nom nom!


Gorgonzola and Corn Relish
Serves 4 burgers (I'm pretty sure)

1/2 cup gorgonzola cheese, crumbled
1 cup corn kernels, frozen or fresh
1/2 bunch cilantro, cleaned and chopped
salt
pepper
olive oil
1/2 lime, squeezed

In a skillet over medium high heat, saute the corn in about 2 tablespoons olive oil until charred and cooked.  Season with salt and pepper.  
Turn off the heat and stir in the cilantro.
Mix all together.
Stir in gorgonzola cheese and squeeze in 1/2 lime.
Taste for seasoning ( may need more salt and/or pepper according to your taste buds)

Put this on any burger you like and enjoy.

No comments:

Post a Comment