Monday, May 7, 2012

Mushroom and Artichoke Shepherd's Pie with Mashed Potato Crust


It's no secret that I love comfort foods.
I love a big, steamy bowl of something topped with gorgeous mashed potatoes that fills my belly and makes me feel like a kid again.
Anything with mashed potatoes seems to do the trick for me.
That always feels like a big hug in my belly.
That sounds weird.
Anyway, what I really love is trying to take a classic comfort food and make it semi healthy.
Then, I'm really in love.
A vegetarian shepherd's pie is what's on the menu for tonight.
I think I've already posted some sort of shepherd's pie on here somewhere, but this one was so 
good, I couldn't resist sharing it with you guys.
And by 'you guys' I mean all three of you who are reading this.
:p


This type of meal is a great 'make ahead' meal, too.
You can assemble everything, down to the last detail and then cover it up and put it in the fridge until
you're ready to bake it and serve it.
I absolutely love those kinds of meals.
It's all about the time management, people.
With three kids and a crazy busy schedule, it's always nice to have dinner made and waiting for me, instead of the other way around.
It's not often that happens, but when it does, man does that feel amazeballs!
I recommend everyone try it... at least once!
So why not start right here, right now, with this here meal.


As with every other meal, I always try and serve a salad alongside it.
That's how my Moma did it, and gosh darn, that's how I'm doing it!
My salads just seem a tad fancier than the good ol' iceberg that Moma had.
If it wasn't tabouli, it was an iceberg lettuce salad.
And believe me, there ain't nothing wrong with the old iceberg.
It's delicious, and a comfort food in and of itself!
Come to think of it, do they even sell iceberg lettuce anymore?
I can't remember the last time I saw it in the store.
It's all about the wild rocket and mixed greens now.
We're so fancy now, right?


Note to self...
Check for iceberg lettuce next grocery trip and try and make it sexy again.
Oh yeahhhh.


Until then, here is the (pretty much) how-to on getting some of this down home comfort food deliciousness on your table and into your own mouth!

Cremini Mushroom and Artichoke Heart Shepherd's Pie

2 lbs. cremini mushrooms, cleaned and roughly chopped
1 bag frozen artichoke hearts, or 1 can artichoke hearts ( I get mine from Trader Joe's)
1 cup fresh or frozen peas
1 cup fresh or frozen corn kernels
2 carrots, diced
2 celery stalks, diced
4 garlic cloves, minced
1 1/2 teaspoon herbs de provence (if you don't have that, you can use 1 teaspoon dried thyme)
1 yellow onion, diced
olive oil
3 tablespoons flour
1 1/2 cups veggie stock
1 1/2 cups milk
salt and pepper 

In a large saute pan over medium high heat, put about 4 tablespoons olive oil and add in the mushrooms.
Saute the mushrooms until they caramelize.  Add salt and and pepper and remove from the pan into a side dish.
In the same saute pan, add in the artichoke hearts with some a couple more tablespoons olive oil.  Season with salt and pepper.  Saute them until they caramelize as well.  Put them in the side dish with the mushrooms and set aside.
Put a few more tablespoons olive oil into the saute pan and add in the carrots, celery and onions.  Season them with salt and pepper.
Saute for about 5 minutes over medium heat.  Add in the garlic and herbs de provence and saute for another 3-4 minutes.  
Put the mushrooms and artichokes into the pan with the other veggies and mix all around.
Make sure there is at least 2 tablespoons of olive oil in the pan and sprinkle in the flour all over the veggies.
Cook that around for about 1 minute on medium heat and slowly add all the veggie stock while mixing with your spoon or spatula.
The mixture will start to thicken right away.  Next, add in the milk while continuing to stir your veggie mixture.  Keep adding liquid until the mixture can coat the back of a wooden spoon and when you swipe a finger across the wooden spoon, the sauce holds its shape (meaning it doesn't come back together).
I hope that makes sense.
The mixture won't reach it's full thickening potential until it comes to a boil... a very low boil.
Once it does, turn the heat down and add in the peas and corn.
Check again and season with salt and pepper.
Pour it into a baking dish and prepare to have your dish get even more luxurious by a mashed potato topping.

Mashed Potato Crust
4-5 russet idaho potatoes, peeled and diced
2 garlic cloves, minced
1/2 cup low fat sour cream
1 cup buttermilk 
2 tablespoons butter
Salt and pepper

Boil the potatoes until fork tender.
Drain and put back into the same pot.
Mash it (or put it through a ricer if you don't like lumps) and add in the butter, sour cream, buttermilk, garlic cloves and salt and pepper.
If the mixture seems too dry, add some more buttermilk.
I will also sometimes add some olive oil to moisten it.
Put dollops of the potatoes all over the mushroom and artichoke filling and using a spatula, carefully spread the mashed potatoes all over the top of the veggies.  Top with a little bit of cheddar cheese and a lot bit of parmesan reggiano. 
It will create a beautiful and delicious crust on the potatoes and you will think you will have died and gone to heaven when you bite into that baby.

Serve with a (iceberg?) salad and you will love everything about this entire dish.
ev.
ree.
thing.


1 comment:

  1. Do you always use mushrooms whenever you cook? I’ve always tried to put mushrooms in my recipes because I want my meals to be tasty and healthy! And with mushrooms, that can be possible. Anyway, I love this dish. It looks tasty! I’d love to try this!

    >Mack Shepperson

    ReplyDelete