Thursday, April 12, 2012

Spicy Scrambled Egg Sandwich on a Hash Brown 'Bun'


In my never ending quest to try and make something ordinary quite extraordinary, I came up with this little mini twist on a breakfast favorite.
We love doing breakfast together as family on the weekends since we have the luxury of being together on Saturdays and Sundays. Most weekends my husband is the breakfast chef.
I know... I am lucky that way.
A few Sundays ago I decided to give him the morning off and whipped up these bad boys for our enjoyment.

Basically you make eggs whatever way you like.
We prefer scrambled.
We are slightly boring that way.
I prefer to think of it as traditional.
Are scrambled eggs traditional?
Not sure, but they are up in here.
But you better believe that I spruced that baby up, lovely style.

I made a sandwich, if you will.
I grated a couple of peeled russet potatoes and piled little nests of them onto my preheated non stick pan with about 4 tablespoons of olive oil...
and if you're feeling extra spicy that morning, add a couple tablespoons of butter as well.
Butter, although not great for your body, simply magnificent for your taste buds.

Let those bad boys fry up for a good 7-8 minutes on medium to medium high heat (depending on your stove) till they are nice and brown.
Make sure you don't pat them down too much so they are still a bit fluffy and not
too gummy or dense.
Then flip and do the same on the other side.
I grated parmesan reggiano directly onto the cooked side of the hash brown and when the underside was cooked, I flipped it once more just to get a nice parmesan crust onto the hash brown.
Only let the parmesan cook for about 2 minutes into the hash brown so it doesn't burn.
It forms this incredible, delicious, nutty flavored crust onto the hash brown that is too good to miss.
Do the same on the other side.
Right when you take the finished hash browns out of the skillet, sprinkle them with salt and pepper.
More pepper, less salt.
Since the parmesan is salty.
If you don't use the parmesan crust step (which you totally don't have to do if you don't want) then make sure you sprinkle these babies liberally with salt and pepper.
You see...
Salt and potatoes are BFF's.
From like, way back in the 2nd grade.
They've loved each other for years.
So don't deny them their time together.

Lay one of the hash brown 'buns' down on your plate and place a thick slice of tomato on top.
Top the beautiful tomato with the eggs of your choice (scrambled, poached, sunny side up... however you're feeling it that morning).
I mix some salsa right into my scrambled eggs right before I cook them.
That's a tip straight from the Mr.
He can't cook much, but when breakfast comes... that man KILLS it!
I used 2 whole eggs and 3 egg whites for the two of us.
Mix in about 3 tablespoons of salsa and some fresh chopped scallions.
Finish that gorgeous little peach off with the crowning hash brown 'bun'.
Maybe grate a little extra parmesan on top and sprinkle some more freshly chopped scallions.
You can top these 'sandwiches' with anything you like, really.
Avocado would be amazeballs here, but sadly I didn't have any.
Olives, bell peppers, some kind of breakfast meat...
the world is your oyster.
Errr, the egg is your canvas?...
The potato is your starch?...
nevermind.


To finish it off,
I drizzled some hot sauce on top and all around the plate for some pretty and some delicious!
Try this next Sunday morning.
It's a little bit country and a little bit rock n roll.
Ya.
Uh huh.
That's right.


No comments:

Post a Comment