Tuesday, February 21, 2012

Sweet Potato Smothered Shrimp on Cheddar Corn Bread


I took a plane and headed down south for din din the other night.
Well, I don't know.
South.
South West.
Not really sure where I went.
Of course I'm talking metaphorically.
I wish I could hop on a plane and get down.
Like Louisiana or New Mexico or something.
And just eat, eat, eat my way through the city.
That sounds like a dreamy time to me.

Anyway, I wanted to make some shrimp but I wanted to try and make it hearty.
That's not always easy to do, you know.
Make a hearty seafood dish.
But I think this one qualifies and gets it done.

I put some crazy delicious spices on the shrimp and seared them in a really hot pan til they were perfect.
A little allspice, coriander, cumin, granulated garlic, onion powder, salt and pepper.
Don't really remember measurements, but those were the flavors.

Then I took them bad boys out and added about 3 tablespoons olive oil, chopped onion, 4 minced garlic cloves (cuz why add garlic if you're not going to ADD some GARLIC), and one big fat diced and peeled sweet potato.
I diced it really small so it would cook fast. About the same size as the onions.

I added salt and pepper and sprinkled 3 tablespoons flour and sauteed that around with all the vegetables for about one minute.
Then I added some veggie broth, 1 cup at a time, and stirred it around until the gravy thickened. Be sure to check for salt and pepper.

When the gravy is thickened, lower the heat and simmer it until the sweet potatoes are cooked through.
At the very end, add back in the shrimp and add one can of drained and rinsed black beans and a handful of chopped scallions.
Save some scallions to garnish with for a fresh onion kick.

I made a cheddar cornbread and smothered it with the shrimp and gravy.

It was all very delicious. The flavors were so good together. Like they were all playing in a band and making beautiful music together.

Try this supercalafragalistic way to prepare your shrimp.
It'll make a meat lover recognize the beauty of the ocean.

Mmmm mmmm good.

No comments:

Post a Comment