Monday, August 20, 2012

One Pot Wonder - Beef Stew

Here is a happy little meal that will take you no time to put together.
It's a 'throw everyone into the pot' kinda meal.
Who doesn't like that concept for an easy dinner!
Meat.
Potatoes.
Veggies.
Winner winner beef stew dinner.


I don't eat meat but I do enjoy cooking a hearty, comfort meal for my boys once in a while.
I feel like there is no greater comfort food for men and boys (and some cool chicks)
than a belly-filling meaty dinner.


And the good thing about this is that you probably have most of the ingredients in your home right now.


I try and always have some sort of hunk of beef in my freezer for when I want to throw my boys a bone (literally) and give them a break from the vegetarian and seafood dishes I mostly cook.
In this case, I had some chuck pieces that were cut up when I bought them for a kabob.
So they were already all cubed up and ready for me.
I didn't have to do a thing.


I threw in some whole baby potatoes and fancily cut up some carrots.
Add in the onions and garlic and that about wraps up all the ingredients it took to make this.
What was that, five in all?
Not bad, right?


I made some brown rice to go with the beef stew for added insurance that these boys wouldn't come after me a half hour after dinner was done and say,
'MOM, I'M HUNGRY! WHAT CAN I EAT?'

Ummmm, I'm pretty sure we JUST ATE DINNER, BOYSSSS!!!!
~insert long sigh here~

Exhausting I tell ya.



So I think that this meal would be delightful for you to make for your hubby, your wife, your kids.
or your boyfriend,
or your girlfriend,
or your boyfriend and your girlfriend.
You get my point.
Whoever is lucky enough to be at your house that day when you decide to bust out that hunk of meat that's in your freezer and turn it into this delightful little slice of meat lovers heaven will be a happy person.
Unless that person is me.
Then I would be excited for the fact that you decided to make this meal, but I will not partake in the eating of it.
Oh well, more for you.


Even though I don't eat meat, my nose still loves to be a judge.
My nose loves to indulge in the aromas of whatever is cooking in the kitchen.
And my nose don't lie, people!
That beef stew was gangsta.
That's what my nose said.

And my husband.
And kids.
Well, they didn't say gangsta, but I wish they had.
That would have been hilarious.
And pretty gangsta of them.


BEEF STEW

2-3 pounds chuck roast, cut up into cubes
3 large carrots, cut into 2 inch pieces
1 pound whole baby potatoes
1 large onion, diced
4-5 garlic cloves, chopped
2 springs rosemary
2 bay leaves
1 cup water
1 cup tomato juice, (I use low sodium V8)
1/4 cup flour
salt and pepper

Season the cubed meat with salt and pepper and dredge it in the flour.
Add it to a really hot dutch oven or large pot with enough oil to cover the bottom.
Sear the meat on all sides.
Add in the onions, carrots, potatoes, rosemary sprigs, bay leaves and garlic.
Season everything with salt and pepper.
Stir it all around for about 2 minutes.
Add in the tomato juice and the water and bring to a boil.
Cover the pot and transfer it to a 350 degree oven for 2-3 hours, until the meat is fork tender.
Like buttah!
You can take out what's left of the rosemary stems and bay leaves after it's all done cooking.

I hope you likey.
Go Meat!


1 comment:

  1. Yum! Can you believe the irony that after all those years of ME not eating meat, now it's YOU that doesn't.....PLUS you're supplying me with delicious-o meat recipes?! I will definitely try this come colder weather.

    ReplyDelete